Friday, June 20, 2008

Freakiest thing you've ever done...

A forum I frequent posed this question.

For me, mine was more stupid than freaky. And yet it can still be construed as freaky by others.

When I was just out of High School, I worked in the seafood department of a local grocery store. The bosses liked my work because I had an artistic flare for displaying the fish and stuff, as opposed to the generic and stale rows.

Two months into it, I was cleaning a cutting board and accidentally splashed myself in the face. Not a big deal right? I wash my face and continue working.

About 20 minutes later, the head manager came down from his office to talk to me because more than one customer was worried about the 'dead guy' working seafood. After taking a single glance at me, he told me to go home and that he'd call in the seafood manager to close.

After asking him why, he took me to the restroom and pointed at a mirror.

Remember that scene where Will Smith had a swollen face, saw himself in the mirror and went "Whoah!"? I had a similar reaction. While my face wasn't nearly as swollen as the prosthetics that Will Smith had on, it was blotchy red and my eyes were so bloodshot that it nearly looked like there wasn't any whites of my eyes.

Needless to say, they rearranged people and put me on a cashier for the 15 or less aisle. Annnnd I had a paycut. Boo.

Yes... I'm allergic to fish.
Yes... I knew about it long before that grocery was even built.
It was an extra $2 an hour to work back there, plus I had a raise from causing seafood sales to rise.

*shrugs*

Benadryl is my friend.

No comments: